keeping up with what i'm up to, but sporadically and with less grammar than before

11.11.08

Trying to keep this thing up to date is difficult at times, considering the only time I really have for it is on my lunch break in the office, and this place isn’t exactly the best environment for creative output, or reviewing my activities – mainly as this place sucks you dry of anything other than the effort to get through till five thirty (and also because i’m actually working a lot of the time – imagine). I get these creative urges whilst sat here but I never have the opportunity or skill to actually create anything. I tend to do a lot of my stuff – songs, ditties, ideas, writing and that – on the fly, and the best stuff comes out spontaneous like, just out there. Like this stuff. I think if I think about it too much I more often than not over analyse it and then don’t have the guts to throw it out there, whereas if I just get it done quick and I don’t have the opportunity to veto myself. Like “I Wouldn’t Move to London for You” was a random jam on a single chord sequence that I would never have done anything with, cos I never thought it was anything much, but I wrote it one afternoon cos I had an acoustic show that night and I only had like 3 or 4 songs to play, so I threw it together and now it’s like a crowd favourite or something. It’s just the same as it was that cold afternoon in finchampstead (except simon’s kicked the shit out of it when we recorded it – those drums are bigger than I ever could have imagined and it’s become like this raucous beast that I can’t tame – but essentially the same song, one chord sequence and a silly little harmonica hook). It’s gonna be one of the last tunes we play at this bluetones gig that we’ve been asked to play at – supporting the bluetones, man – that’s crazy. I caught their first album when it came out – I was, what, like 14 or some shit, and they really pricked my ears – you know they’re all beatles-y and chimey on that first album, but also really fucking heavy too- the end of Things Change when Eds is going spack on them skins and there’s like 9 or 10 guitars all layered up, crazy. But then you’ve got The Fountainhead, which is all complicated rhythms and tight acoustics, and bittersweet lyrics (more bitter – why I like it I guess) that bring a tear to your eye. I met them once – we met them, the cheap days – after a gig we saw them play in Aldershot, hung out for a beer with them and got on their bus, they were top guys, proper good company, although I felt a bit like a fawning uberfan at times, but they made us feel comfortable – but now we’re playing with them, propping them up like some sort of unworthy footrest. I can’t undersell how amazing this makes me feel. Balls to the ‘career progression’; or whatever (I doubt there’ll be much of that), but just to be on the same stage as Mark Morriss is such an honour. Hopefully I’ll get to buy him a drink

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you and the Cheap Days been in the studio?

I want to hear these tracks that have had the shit kicked out of 'em!

Arrow said...

nah, was reffering to the recordings from last year - and comparing them to the acoustic version i used to do

recording in the new year
x

Anonymous said...

Cheap Days plus one!!
or had you forgotten I was there too!
:)